Monday, April 27, 2015

Confession #3: "I'm like"



One of the principles of the Baháí Faith is the elimination of prejudice.  And that means prejudice of all kinds.  I’m not racist, never have been, not even on my radar.  Though I love knowledge, I don’t see the superiority of the educated over the un.

So am I free of prejudice?  Can I start dancing the samba in celebration of my pristine prejudicelessness?  Hardly.  If I know a person’s name before I meet them, I’m predisposed to like them or not.  Moses or Mandrake makes me prick my ears up.  Mortimer or Ahmedinijad, not so much.  Say Helen, I’m in heaven.  Say Hepzibah or Henryk, I turn the other cheek.

Don’t get me started.  Oops, you already have.  I am prejudiced against the wearing of baseball hats backward, bad spelling, gum chewing, cigarette smoking, saying “I’m like,” loudmouths, cellphone/videogame addiction, talking down to children, berating other drivers, ugly shoes, bad service, restaurants with tvs blaring, businesses with their unwashed urchins running around in front of their customers. Now there’s no stopping.  In fact, don’t come near me, I’m the biggest bigot and hypocrite around.  Don’t say you weren’t warned.

No comments: